10 Tips For Traveling While Queer: Cabo San Lucas
Editors note: This article is not sponsored.
Flight Deals are REAL! One day, I got a text from my partner that Southwest Airlines was having another one of their monster sales. We booked the flight months ahead and planned our lodging and itinerary later. Here is a list of sites to check out for cheap flights: Google Flights, Secret Flying, and Scotts Cheap Flights. Remember when looking into travel to different countries to make sure they are LGBTQ friendly. In many countries being LGBTQ is illegal. Here is an article about LGBTQ friendly places to visit. Also, check out the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association which has been providing free resources for travelers since the 1990's.
Groupon Getaways! Here is the exclusive getaway we got at Solmar Resort. Solmar Resort is secluded between granite cliffs and the shore. It offers a quiet getaway despite its proximity to downtown Cabo San Lucas. It’s even closer to the beach—the pool deck and the pathway between the resort’s many amenities are among the few parts of the property not covered in soft sand. All-inclusive package: All meals (including sushi from the sushi bar), national domestic cocktails, snacks, and social activities, plus access to the fitness center and tennis courts at the nearby Playa Grande Resort. I don't know about you but I'm very concerned with people acknowledging my partner and I as couple and not just friends. Solmar respected our love and even celebrated it with us by providing complimentary chocolate covered strawberries and champagne on the first night of our stay!
3. Skip the pat down and get TSA pre-check, if you are eligible. As a queer trans person of color (QTPOC) I have a lot of travel anxiety. TSA pre-check gives you an opportunity to utilize a shorter line, not take your shoes off and skip the body scanner that can’t read trans bodies.
4. Support Black Business and purchase your activities before the trip with E2R Travel Agency. We were able to secure an ATV tour and dinner cruise for nearly half the price. Amigos provided excellent service and it was such an exhilarating excursion. We rode the ATV along the beach and through the mountains of Cabo. The ATV tour was exciting and picturesque.
5. Yes to Timeshare Presentation & No to Timeshares: Pick a morning to wake up early and attend one of the timeshare presentations. You’ll get free breakfast and get sold on what seems to be a “good deal”. Don’t sign up but enjoy and get a free activity in exchange. We chose a couples massage on the beachfront property at Solmar. The massage exceeded my expectations and they were queer friendly.
6. Don’t forget the nightlife! Solmar is the type of resort that you can stay on for your entire trip because of the all-inclusive amenities but don’t forget to explore the nightlife! We had a delicious dinner at Edith’s for my partner's birthday. Edith's is a queer's heaven with its amazing lighting, jungle themed design and decor and amazing photos of Frida Kahlo. The plates were tasty, fresh and huge portions. Don't forget to try the Tequila Martini. It was so yummy!
7. Getting around the city. When we arrived we exchanged our currency and grabbed our luggage. Upon exiting the airport, we were stopped by a man that said he could get us to our hotel shuttle. Before we knew it, he was trying to sign us up for excursions and timeshare presentations. Avoid the hassle and get to the outside of the airport where most resort vans are waiting for you. The other perk of staying at a resort is that we had access to a concierge that was able to call cabs and verify the location of our activities. Don’t hesitate to ask for help!
8. Spend some time with Yemaya for a beautiful sunset. We spent several nights watching the sunset and listening to the beautiful roar of the ocean. It was so relaxing and rewarding. Take a notebook to the water and set some intentions or list what your grateful for. Take advantage of the sacredness and time away.
9. Don’t forget to use Ebates. We got $50 back for our Groupon purchase for the Solmar Resort. Plan ahead of time and get a big fat check before your trip to use on souvenirs! My partner was able to grab a last minute rainbow swimsuit from Ami ClubWear and get cash back also.
10. Don’t forget your bug spray and sun block/tan lotion. The mosquitos are definitely queer-friendly!
**Here are some annual weather facts to help you plan your visit
Have any travel tips of your own? Share in the comments below!